Sunday

Hirst Accused Of Copying Idea

Three weeks after the artist unveiled his diamond-encrusted skull with a price of £50 million, another artist, John LeKay, has told The Times that he has been producing similar jewel-encrusted skulls since 1993. He also believes that it is not the only one of his ideas that Hirst has used in some way. LeKay, who claims to have been a friend of Hirst’s between 1992 and 1994, and who shared a mixed show with him in New York in 1994, said of the diamond skull: “When I heard he was doing it, I felt like I was being punched in the gut. When I saw the image online, I felt that a part of me was in the piece. I was a bit shocked.” LeKay, a 46-year-old Londoner who lives in New York, created 25 of the skulls in 1993. Inspired by Mayan skulls, he used crystal to make his skull glisten. “When the light hits it, it looks as if it is covered in diamonds,” he said. The similarity between Hirst’s diamond skull, For the Love of God, and skull-themed jewellery with Swarovski crystals produced by Butler and Wilson was reported earlier this month, but Hirst is no stranger to plagiarism claims. (For full source and full article click the Headline). Irish Art