Thursday

Joe Boyle Abstract Solo Show

Joe Boyle - "Moved" Solo Exhibition Gormleys Fine Art - Belfast - 26th Aug - 11th Sep 251 Lisburn Road, Belfast Tel: +44 (0)28 9066 3313 "I paint in intuitive response to some idea or theme about which I can feel passionate. By expressing my intuition in the abstract, I avoid the usual constraints of the determinate concepts associated with representation. I thereby achieve a greater freedom of expression. I find the ongoing improvisation implicit in abstraction immensely liberating. The inherent instability of improvisation is a conduit for my creativity. The challenge is to sustain that initial sense of freedom generated by the excitement of an impending expedition in search of judgements of taste. I try to overcome this difficulty by establishing spontaneous and emerging relationships between colour, line, tone and texture, with a view to exciting and igniting the canvas. I want my paintings to be complex and visually stunning, yet resolved into a unifying simplicity. I don't just take a “Line for a walk”, rather I invite Line, Tone, Texture and Colour on to my canvas and let them have a party". Joe Boyle 2010 Irish Art